CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, August 2

First Weeks of School- Days 3 and 4

The technical "first week of school" is only two days for me.  So, I like to spend the next week still learning the rules and procedures and having the children do typical beginning of the year activities before we jump into Daily Five activities, our Harcourt reading series and official math lessons.  Here's what my days 3 and 4 are going to look like:

Day 3
7:45-8:15- unpack, continue working on number posters from day 2

8:15-9:00- Daily Five- first lesson (create I chart and practice stamina- probably with tub of books from my library because I don't think I will have had enough time to get each child their selection of just right books yet)

9:00-9:30- Math About Me (complete squares 4, 5, 6)

9:30-9:45- Snack

9:45-10:05- Writing- Math About Me Book ("I have three _____")

10:05-10:30- Read "Chrysanthumum" and graph how many letters in your name

10:30-10:45- Calendar on Promethean Board

10:45-11:15- PE

11:15-11:45- Lunch

11:50-12:15- Recess

12:20-1:00- Read and illustrate the poem "I'm Glad I'm Me", draw/color self portraits (these will be displayed for Open House)

1:00-1:15- Chapter book read aloud

1:15-1:45- Name Mosaics from DeAnna Jump (these will go on a bulletin board)

1:45-2:15- Friendship Fruit Salad from Anna Brantley

2:15-2:20- Pack-Up

2:25- Early Dismissal

2:35- Late Dismissal

** No specials today.  This used to be my Spanish day, but Spanish was cut to help with class size.  Spanish is going to be missed!


Day 4:
7:45-8:10- unpack, finish number posters

8:10-8:30- Morning Meeting
- Pledge/patriotic song
- Calendar

8:30-9:15- Class Promise- we will discuss our class promise, each child will sign, then they will make a face from a small paper plate (yarn for hair) to display in the classroom all year long

9:15-10:00- Math About Me- cut out and color head and feet, glue together.  These will be displayed for Open House

10:00-10:15- Snack

10:15-10:35- Second Daily Five Lesson (I need to pull back out my book-- maybe 3 Ways to read a book).  Practice stamina by reading books from book bins

10:35- Chapter book read aloud

10:45-11:15- PE

11:20-11:45- Lunch

11:50-12:15- Recess

12:20-12:40- Math About Me book ("I have four _____")

12:40-1:05- Explore Math Manipulatives- go over rules first.  Children will have 7-8 minutes at three different "stations"- pattern blocks, unifix cubes, geoboards

1:05- 1:30- Journal/share

1:30- Pack-Up

1:40-2:20- Specials- Library

2:25- Early Dismissal

2:35- Late Dismissal

6 comments:

SDNana said...

Thank you for sharing. I have 5 full days the first week so your ideas will help me with some fill in time. Could you tell me where you get your calendar for the promethean board? Did you make it yourself? I am new to the board and have not had any training on how to make things yet. Thank you. Liz in South Dakota

Lauren Morse said...

I make my own. It's not super fancy, but it works. I'm pretty sure the file is too big to e-mail and I don't think I can put it on Google Docs or Teachers Pay Teachers. If you have an idea for sharing let me know, and I'll try to get it to you.

Mandi said...

Thank you so much for sharing! I am working on planning the first week (4 days) right now, and I love your ideas! Thanks!

Rose said...

Thanks for sharing your first days. I am working on mine at this time. Love my Promethean Board Calendar.
Rose
The Wonderful World of Kindergarten

Chrissy said...

Thanks for sharing. It's really getting me thinking about what to do. I love your buses that help review letter sounds. I might do a project like that and make a class book out of it. Hope you have a great year!
http://firstgradefoundme.blogspot.com

Jarred Lindon said...

There will favorably be more of the possible provisions of interest and ideas which are considered to be of highly importance and will proved to be much better. write my thesis for me