CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 19

Free Halloween Math Games

My kids (and I) are loving all of the fun Halloween-themed things going on right now.  We've learned about pumpkins, scarecrows, bats and spiders.  And coming up soon-- owls.  I created a few Halloween games to spice up math tubs.  They have been a big hit.

Spook-tacular Tens
One of the Common Core standards in first grade is to determine the meaning of the equals sign and have children tell if equations are true or false.  I created this little game to begin teaching the concept of equal and not equal-- plus it fits in nicely with our addition strategy of the week-- tens partners.  The children sort the addition fact cards into "Equals 10" or "Doesn't Equal 10".  Then they record their answers on the recording sheet.  Click on the picture to download a copy.

Spooky Coin Count
The next game focuses on counting like coins-- pennies, nickels, and dimes.  The children sort the cards by the coin type.  They count their money and record on the sheet by skip counting.  Click on the picture below to download.

Double Double, Toil and Trouble
My kids are loving this game this week!  The directions say to use 7 pennies in the middle of the witches pot.  Instead, I've let them use candy.  They aren't even eating it-- just using it in the game.  It's the little things, I guess!  Anyway, a partner teacher said she was making her kids use 13 objects if they are playing with three in a group.  That extends the length of the game a little.  Good thinking, Jan :)
Click on the picture to download.

12 comments:

Dana said...

OMGosh! Super cute games! I SO using the double double toil and trouble game with my kids next week! They love dice games and using candy in the middle is perfect! Thanks for sharing!

Dana
3rd Grade Gridiron

kinderpond said...

Love love!


Jennifer

Lisa said...

These are fabulous!!!!! My kiddos will love them! Thanks a bazillion! :)

Lisa
Live Laugh and Love to Learn

Miss Kindergarten said...

Too cute!!!

Dana said...

Thanks for sharing these awesome games :)

Carolyn S said...

Thanks for sharing your super cute games!!!!

Jenn Bates said...

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing!
Jenn
Finally in First

Jennifer K. said...

These are great, thanks so much for sharing!!

Jennifer @ Herding Kats In Kindergarten

Oceans of First Grade Fun said...

I love these games! Thanks so much for sharing!
Ms. A

Barbara said...

I love this game!

❀Barbara❀
Grade ONEderful

Ann Marie said...

so cute! Thanks for sharing!! I can't wait to make and share with my first grade teachers!!!

❃ Ann Marie
ABCs and 123s 4 me

lorawebster said...

What fantastic ideas! Thank you so much for sharing!

Lora