CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, April 24

First Grade Poetry

During the last two weeks, my kiddos have been writing lots of poetry.  I think that poetry is something that they are naturally drawn to and pretty easy to write.

We've read lots of children's poetry-- including my favorite Shel Silverstein.  My kids can't seem to get enough of him this year!

I started out teaching this unit by reading "Writing Dino-mite Poems" in the Learn to Write series.  This is a great tool for teaching writing.  There is a teaching book with printables and a read-aloud book for each type of writing.  You don't have to purchase the whole set.  Individual books are sold at my local parent teacher store. 

I've found that it's easiest to have structured poems for the kids to practice with each day.  I bind these in a little book to take home.  Click here to download a copy of my poetry book.  Many of these poems were inspired from the Dino-mite Poetry book.  Others were found online.

I hate that I let my kids take home their books without taking pictures first.  I'll do my best to describe each poem with an example.

Animal Riddle Poem- inspired by "Shanna's Animal Riddles"
1st Line- one sentence describing animal
2nd Line- another sentence describing animal
3rd Line- It rhymes with ___
4th Line- sound or action word, repeated three times
5th Line- It is a (name of animal)

*Make sure children pick animals that have rhyming words!


How Do I Know?
Students should pick a time of day, a season, a month, or holiday to write about

Simile Poem
Students can pick any object to write about.

Spring Is...
First Line- Color or colors to describe something "springy"
Second Line- Name of object
Third Line- a phrase starting with -ing
Fourth Line- Any thought pertaining to topic

A few other sping ideas (bumblebees, flowers, butterflies, basketball, baseball, grass, sandals, dresses)

I Can
On each line, the children will tell something they can do like an animal

The Book of Poems also includes an acrostic and a free verse poem.

How do you teach poetry?  I would love some new poems to try next year!

15 comments:

Mrs. Anderson said...

Shel Silverstein is one of my favorite poets. I have several copies in my room because my kids love him, too. Thanks for sharing your poetry book freebie.
Connie :)
welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

Staci said...

I love Dr. Seuss and Nursery Rhymes. My Kinders do a Nursery Rhyme activity each year where they dress up as their favorite nursery rhyme and recite it in front of an audience. I also do a literacy center focused on poetry- write a poem and the kids have to fill in the blanks with familiar words and also use word cards to match in the poem.
Thanks for your ideas!!
I'm your newest follower :)

-Staci
Let's Teach Something

Chrissy said...

I'd love to see your poetry book, but it wouldn't download. I'm not sure if that's a problem just on my end... Thanks for sharing the great ideas! I love the summer one for the end of the year.
 Chrissy

First Grade Found Me

Tamera said...

I love teaching poetry with my first graders! They always blow me away with their writing.

I just found your blog today as I was searching for guided math ideas.

Stop by my blog sometime.

:) Tamera
http://www.myheartbelongsinfirst.blogspot.com

Jessica Ann Stanford said...

Adorable!!

Blessings,

Jessica Stanford
Mrs. Stanford's Class
I hope that you'll join me for my giveaway ♥

Mrs. Crouse said...

Hey there!

I have nominated you for the "Versatile Bloggers" award. Receive it from my blog!

Mrs. Crouse @{6th Grade} All-Stars

Mrs. Crouse said...

Hi there!

I hope you can join me in my first ever Linky Party on "Preparing for School" over at {6th Grade} All-Stars

Hope to see you there!

Mrs. Crouse :)

Maria Jamella said...

Hi Lauren,

I love your blog, just came across and found it very informative and interesting. Looking to find more about 1st up to 3rd grade resources...

SeventiesGirl said...

My students love Roald Dahl's poetry.

Tracy IsPoetic said...

I love your poems. Not sure if you've done cinquains but they are awesome for first grade. I taught first grade for 6 years but have been in other assignments for the past 6 years. So now I am a reading and ESL teacher. Love your ideas!!

~Tracy

Mark Luchauer said...

Thanks for your awesome blog post! Teachers, check out the Clipart for Teachers on ClippyArt to find clipart for teaching, scrapbooking, and more. This clipart is perfect for worksheets and activities that you want to sell on TeachersPayTeachers!

Jennifer said...

Thank you so much for sharing. We did the animal riddles today and I used your example. My children did a wonderful job with it. I told them that they are all now poets!

Mrs. Lewis said...

LOVE your blog! Lots of hard work. Thank you for sharing! Follow me at: www.leapingin2learning.blogspot.com

Julie Chavez said...

Hi Everyone,
I am a former 1st grade teacher and am selling tons of teaching resources and books on my amazon store suitable for K-2! Check it out if you are interested!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main/ref=olp_merch_name_6?ie=UTF8&asin=0590643762&isAmazonFulfilled=0&seller=A1WU61CGOMI6CP

Thanks,
Julie :)

LOL Elo Boost said...


One of the most amazing things which make the Tower Defence so popular is their game plan. Being a strategy game, it is designed on very intriguing grounds which involves the players greatly. The task in these activities is to hinder the movements of the enemy. You must not let them get near you if you want to win the challenge and move to the next level. This is done by erecting towers which stops the rivals from approaching you. Once you are able to do it, you can gain points and use them for buying new towers. A player can also make use the points to make some upgrades and enjoy this game all the better.
buy elo boost
Buy LOL Boost